4 Tips for a Squeaky Clean Shower Door
Shower glass doors are quite a rage in and around Dallas. And why not? After all, a custom shower door installation in Dallas can instantly boost the aesthetics of your bathroom while increasing your home’s value. Other amazing benefits of a shower door are that:
It gives the illusion of a bigger bathroom space, especially if it is frameless. Unlike a traditional shower curtain, a frameless shower glass door penetrates the light and makes the space look spacious.
It provides greater safety against bathroom slips and falls. A glass shower door creates a solid and tight seal keeping water inside the shower.
It can be customized according to your style, size, shape, and other requirements. You can have patterned glass for greater privacy or a frameless and chic glass door for enhanced visual appeal. Frameless shower glass doors are functional and add a decorative touch to the space.
Unlike shower curtains that breed mold and mildew, shower doors dry faster, so the risk of mold growth is lower.
But just like any glass window, shower doors in Dallas also require proper cleaning. Failure to follow a good cleanup regimen can lead to visible scum of soap, hard water stains, and sometimes even mold growth. All this can make your door look dull and dingy.
So, if you’re struggling to keep your shower doors clean and tidy, hire shower door professionals in Dallas. Here are some of the best tips for keeping your shower door sparkling and squeaky clean.
However, before you get started, let us walk you through the top reasons why glass shower doors get dingy and dull over time:
The water from the local or civic treatment plants picks up magnesium and calcium carbonates from the rocks and soil. It makes the water in your home’s taps rich in mineral content. Hence, when this hard water in your taps mixes with the soap, it leaves streaks and stains, resulting in soap scum.
If the soap scum is not removed and cleaned from the door immediately, it can lower the luster and shine of the shower door. Furthermore, it can eventually damage the shower glass because the scum is porous. The minerals in the scum seep down into the glass, causing corrosion.
Mold and Mildew Growth
Another cause of dirty and dull shower doors is mildew and mold growth. Mildew makes a thin coating of fungus on the door. It grows and thrives in damp and warm places. So, if you like to take a hot shower, you must clean your glass doors routinely to avoid mildew growth. Damp and warm places are the breeding grounds for mildew and mold. They look unsightly. Plus, they are also hazardous to your health.
Best Tips for Keeping Your Shower Doors Squeaky Clean
Now that you know the reasons for a dingy and dull shower door, here are the best tips to keep it spotlessly clean:
Select the Best Cleaning Supplies
Before you begin the cleanup job, decide whether to go DIY or use commercial cleaners. It’s vital to understand that a large range of commercial cleaners is available in the market. They chemically remove soap scum, hard water stains, and mold. However, remember that the formulation of these industrial-grade cleaners can be harsh and abrasive on glass doors and aluminum frames. These cleaners can eventually scratch and damage the door and are also harmful to the environment.
So, it is best to select the right type of cleaners with the right formulation. The good news is that there are many green and eco-friendly alternatives for glass showers available in stores. These are free from toxic chemicals and vapors. You can try them too.
However, you can also use DIY cleaners. These are more economical and feasible and pose no health hazard. To get started, here are some quick ideas:
If there is a light buildup on the shower glass door, consider cleaning it with moistened dryer sheets. Use these sheets to cut through the scum and stains of hard water. However, if the stains are stubborn, try the lemon juice technique for cleaning shower doors. It is an all-natural DIY cleanup tip. Not only will the lemon juice clean the doors, but it will also make them smell great. Here’s what you need to do:
- Take a cup of water and add three spoons of lemon juice to a spray bottle
- Next, shake the mixture well so that it is ready to use.
- Now thoroughly spray it on the glass door and the frame
- Let the mixture on the glass stay for five to ten minutes. It will help break down the stains and soap scum.
- After ten minutes, wipe the mixture from the shower glass with a clean, soft sponge. Next, use a microfiber cloth to clean the door.
However, you will need a stronger DIY cleaner if you have tougher stains and residue. To make a stronger cleaner, skip lemon juice; add distilled vinegar to the water. It’s safe, powerful, and budget-friendly. It is a natural deodorizer, sanitizer, and glass cleaner. But to make this mixture, you will have to follow some steps. These include the following:
- Take a half cup of vinegar and heat it for 30 seconds in the microwave
- Now take the warm vinegar and pour it into the spray bottle
- Next, spray the frames and doors thoroughly and let them soak for at least five minutes
- To clean the scum on the glass, use a non-abrasive bristle brush. Wear rubber gloves to scrub the glass gently.
- Next, take warm water to rinse everything and then dry the glass using a microfiber cloth.
Another way to have a squeaky clean shower door is to:
- Take a half cup of baking soda and pour in some vinegar to make a thick paste
- When you mix the two, you will see fizzing. Once that stops, put the paste on the glass door.
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Next, take a scrubber and scrub the mixture of the glass door gently. Now rinse the residue using warm water.
- Now dry the glass and wipe it thoroughly with a microfiber cloth for a sparkling shine.
- However, if you don’t like the vinegar’s pungent smell, turn on the fan and open the windows. It will ensure the smell fades away fast. Besides this, you can also add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture to suppress the smell of the vinegar.
Follow the Cleaning Regime- Apply, Scrub, Clean, and Dry
You must follow the right cleaning regime to keep your glass doors squeaky clean. It comprises four crucial steps. These include the following:
- Apply the cleaner
- Scrub it thoroughly
- Clean it properly
- Dry and buff
Follow these steps in order for the best results. For example, if you just spray the cleaner on the door and quickly remove it, you may not get the desired shine and sparkle. You must be patient and let the cleaner sit on the glass door for a few minutes.
It is crucial to do so because it lets the grime, dirt, and soap residue loosen up, which may be otherwise left on the shower glass. So, when you clean it, you don’t have to put extra pressure on the glass to clear and clean the dirt, which can otherwise increase the chances of scratches.
Likewise, scrubbing is an essential step too in cleaning glass shower doors. You can’t skip this step and move to the next one. It is because when you gently scrub the door, even the stains will start to remove once the time has elapsed. When you scrub the door with a non-abrasive brush, it will lessen the scratch damage but, at the same time, remove even the toughest stains and grime.
The rinse action should follow the scrubbing step. Make sure you rinse the glass door with clean water thoroughly. This ensures that all mixture is removed from the door and fully cleaned.
Similarly, when drying the door, use a microfiber cloth. Wipe in a circular motion to prevent streaking. We recommend using a microfiber cloth because it can easily help you get rid of dirt and grime while ensuring it doesn’t scratch the glass. Simply stated, microfiber cloth is excellent for getting rid of stubborn grime and will not leave any particles or fibers behind. You can also use a paper towel with microfiber for a perfect finish.
What to Avoid
When cleaning shower doors, there are certain things you must avoid to ensure your doors sparkle for the longest time:
- Avoid acidic and toilet bowl cleaners.
- Avoid steel wool and pumice stone cleaning pads for cleaning glass shower doors, as they can damage frosted shower glass doors.
- Never use heavy-duty and abrasive pads.
More Tips to Keep Shower Doors Clean and Sparkling for the Longest Time
Here are some more tips from our shower glass professionals in Dallas to ensure your shower doors retain their lustrous visual appeal for years to come:
- Always apply water repellant on the shower doors. These repellants are exclusively designed to run off water from the doors. However, do not use them on the floor because it can make the bathroom floor slippery.
- Once you get out of the shower, leave the door open for proper ventilation. Ventilation is crucial. It helps increase airflow while speeding up the water evaporation process. Furthermore, ventilation helps protect the shower glass door from becoming the breeding ground for mildew and mold.
- After a shower, squeegee the water off from the shower door. It will help prevent the formation of spots.
- Moreover, make sure to invest in a water softener system. This is an excellent investment, especially if you get hard water in the taps. Once you install a water softener system, you can easily prevent the mineral deposit formation on the glass shower door and ensure it retains its look and shines for years.
If you have a framed shower glass door, make sure to clean the shower door tracks. Scum and grime can accumulate in the tracks and lower the visual appearance of your bathroom. Some tips to keep it clean are to fill the track with white vinegar and let it stay on it overnight.
Next day, take paper towels to soak the vinegar from the tracks. After that, use a toothbrush to scrub the stains and clean the debris. Make sure to rinse the tracks with warm water.
Contact us for more information or assistance from our shower door professionals in Dallas. At Shower Doors of Dallas, we specialize in shower door services in Dallas. From custom shower door installation in Dallas to other interior glass work like table tops, mirrors, and glass railings, we are experts in all the services. We strive to provide our clients with top-notch services from start to finish at the best price and with complete satisfaction and zero hassle. Schedule a free consultation today!